SPEECH THERAPY FAQ
What Is Speech Therapy?
Why Is Early Intervention So Important?
Why Is Speech Therapy So Important?
How Can We Help?
Are Services Covered By OHIP?
Speech therapy programs are covered by most private and corporate insurance plans. If you do not have these extended benefits, or if speech therapy is not covered under your plan, we offer a financing solution. The Speech Therapy Centres of Canada works closely with Medicard to offer flexible financing to meet your needs. Medicard makes applying for financing easy with a fixed monthly payment schedule, ranging from six months to five years.
Contact us today and ask us how we can help.
1. President’s Choice Children’s Charity (PCCC)
Eligibility: A child must be 18 years of age or younger, be a Canadian citizen and/or have permanent resident status in Canada, and have a physical or developmental disability. The family total income must be $70,000 or less/year.
To Apply: For more information and to obtain an application form visit: http://www.presidentschoice.ca/en_CA/community/pccc/apply-for-funding.html
2. Jennifer Ashleigh Children’s Charity
Eligibility: A child must be 21 years of age or younger and a permanent resident of Ontario. Families must have a total gross income of $60,000 or less/year. Proof if income is required.
To Apply: For more information and to download an application form visit: http://jenash.org/get-help-now/application/
Contact: (905) 852-1799
What to expect from an assessment on your child during the first appointment?
During the Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) assessment, testing will take place and the parent/caregiver will be interviewed.
Depending on the communication issue, the areas that may be assessed include:
- How your child communicates (pronunciation, voice, fluency)
- Language expression (what they say – vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure)
- Language comprehension (what they understand)
- Play and social communication skills (how they communicate – body language, eye contact, greetings etc.)
- For older children, SLP’s may also assess reading and writing skills.
Parent Interview includes:
- A review of the family questionnaire (it is important to get to know more about each child)
- What are the concerns with regards to your child
- A chance for the parent/caregiver to create a more complete picture of your child’s issues
As parents/caregivers, your impressions and opinions about your child’s communication issues are a very important part of the whole assessment process.
For children under 3.5 years old:
- Your child will be assessed while taking part in play-based activities. These activities will be fun for your child and are usually things that can be done on the floor or a tabletop. The parent/caregiver may be invited to join the SLP and your child in these activities. The SLP will determine whether formal (more structured) and/or informal testing is required.
For older children:
- An older child’s assessment is more structured. Older children can be asked to answer some questions (both verbally and non-verbally – pointing), follow a set of directions, or copy communication made by the SLP.
Following the Assessment:
- After the assessment is completed, you will be given an overview of your child’s speech and language skills and recommendations for therapy. This may be given at the time of the assessment or several days later, as the SLP may require some time to gather the information in order to develop goals and a speech therapy treatment plan.
Head Office and Main Clinic
120 West Beaver Creek Road. Unit 22 Richmond Hill, ON L4B 1L2
Tel: 905.886.5941 | Fax: 905.886.2362
300 Rossland Rd. E.
Suite 301. Ajax, ON L1Z 0M1
Bovaird Pediatric Clinic
11&12 – 965 Bovaird Dr. W
Brampton, ON L6X 5K7
Proudly serving the following locations through our Richmond Hill Ontario office:
Bradford | Vaughan | Maple | Aurora | Woodbridge | Oak Ridges | Stouffville | Markham | North York
Proudly serving the following locations through our Ajax Ontario office:
Stouffville | Uxbridge | Pickering | Whitby | Oshawa | Scarborough
Proudly serving the following locations through our Brampton Ontario office:
Mississauga | Oakville | Milton | Etobicoke | Georgetown | Brampton | Burlington
Aurora | Newmarket | Markham | Thornhill | GTA | Mississauga | Brampton | Burlington | Ajax | Oshawa | Pickering | Ottawa
Speech Therapy Centres of Canada Ltd. is in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005. Our Accessibility Customer Service Policy is available upon request. Please feel free to contact us for more information: email@example.com