ACCENT MODIFICATIONSpeech Therapy for Adults
Speech-language pathologists (S-LPs) are trained to work with people on a variety of workplace and social communication skills. One of their strengths is helping those whose first language is not English communicate better in English and achieve a more neutral or ‘Canadian’ accent. Good communication has many benefits in the workplace, social and community settings. Speech-language pathologists have the unique skills to teach accent modification.
Accent modification therapy may involve:
- Learning pronunciation of individual sounds
- Learning ‘Canadian English’ rhythm, stress and intonation within words, phrases and sentences
- Working on Canadian vocabulary
- Working on specialised workplace communication skills
The aim of accent reduction is not to erase the accent but rather to make sure it doesn’t prevent a person from clearly communicating thoughts and ideas with confidence.
Benefits from the Accent Modification Program include the following:
- Increased ability to be understood by others
- Increased confidence when speaking in English in a variety of settings e.g. workplace, with friends
- Increased ability to understand English
- Increased ability to be understood on the phone
- Ability to enjoy communication in a variety of settings
Corporate services are available in workplace settings.
Proudly serving the following locations through our Richmond Hill Ontario office:
Bradford | Vaughan | Maple | Aurora | Woodbridge | Oak Ridges | Stouffville | Markham | North York
Proudly serving the following locations through our Brampton Ontario office:
Mississauga | Oakville | Milton | Etobicoke | Georgetown | Brampton | Burlington
Aurora | Newmarket | Markham | Thornhill | GTA | Mississauga | Brampton | Burlington | Ajax | Oshawa | Pickering | Ottawa