There are so many tips and activities that promote speech and language development.
Some general tips include:
- Make talking fun! Communicate while playing and singing songs
- Sing songs with repetitive phrases
- Read daily to/with your child
- Create a print-rich environment (books, letters on the fridge)
- Show interest in what your child says even if it is difficult to understand e.g., good eye contact, nodding your head, try repeating what they are saying
- Repetition is important – children enjoy hearing the same stories and songs often. Introduce new books and songs in between periods of repetition.
If you feel your child is not reaching his milestones, contact Speech Therapy Centres of Canada.