Dropped plates, thrown foods, defiant screams…. Mealtimes with toddlers can be difficult at the best of times! But having to deal with a toddler who is also a picky eater can make mealtimes even more stressful.
Most people don’t know that speech-language pathologists (SLP) are the professionals to turn to when picky eating is a problem.
Below are a few tips from our SLPs to help you turn your picky eater into an eating angel:
- Re-offer foods that have been previously refused (research shows that foods need to be offered up to 20 times!)
- Make it fun! Squish, smell, kiss and lick new foods.
- Use fun bowls, plates, cutlery, etc.
- Allow your child to spit out new foods
- Try some food play activities (away from mealtimes)